For most of us, this time of year means that a summer glow is now a thing of ancient history, and fine lines, under eye circles, and flaky skin are all in full effect.
In other words, it couldn’t be better timing for us to talk shop with Giftbar newbie, Pinski Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery. Based in Chicago but renowned throughout the country, Dr. Kevin Pinski has been recognized for his incredible work in everything from Best Doctors in America to Vogue.
Here’s what he–and his medical aesthetician Kayla–had to say about attaining gorgeous skin–for winter and beyond.
Giftbar: What is the most prevalent skin concern of your clientele these days?
Dr. Pinski: Patients want to look refreshed and relaxed. Most importantly, they don’t want to appear as if they have had any cosmetic work done. Everyone wants to look “better” but “natural.”
Kayla: Many patients are also looking to treat a variety of anti-aging concerns which include fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation and adult hormonal acne.
Giftbar: What is the biggest mistake you see your clients making when it comes to skincare?
DP: Unfortunately we see a lot of patients still wasting money on products with little benefit. These products typically have great marketing, nice packaging, and possibly a good fragrance or moisturizer. Usually the products contain small amounts of a true active ingredient or an improper form to be effective. Either way they are unable to live up to their hype.
K: Patients also regularly come in with signs of not wearing sunblock on a daily basis. Although on a cloudy, rainy day you are less prone to sunburn from UVB rays, aging UVA rays are potentially damaging all year round! Sunblock is very important to help to prevent premature aging and simultaneously reduce the risk of skin cancers.
Giftbar: What are 5 of your favorite skincare products?
1. LATISSE®– a prescription treatment for hypotrichosis (inadequate or not enough lashes) to grow eyelashes longer, fuller, darker.
2. Lumiere Eye Cream– which smoothes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the delicate eye area, firms and hydrates, deflates the look of puffiness, reduces the appearance of under-eye darkness, and wipes away signs of stress and fatigue.
3. Gloss cream- This cream enhances cellular turnover to reduce pore size and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It features low-dose trichloroacetic acid, ferulic acid ester, vitamins C and E and an advanced retinoic acid ester that offers the benefits of a retinoid with less skin irritation
4. Dual Advantage cream- A cream designed to help control blemishes and fade the residual discoloration associated with them. Multi-functional ingredients also provide relief from flushed, chronically red skin. This product is recommended for problematic skin suffering from blemishes or chronic redness.
5. Journee- Journee is the only day cream that combines PSP technology with antioxidants and broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection. This sunblock and growth factor combination is elegantly formulated to revitalize the skin while guarding against premature aging. This light, non greasy formulation is fast absorbing and fragrance free
Giftbar: And one product or ingredient that fits well into any patient’s regimen?
K: Antioxidants. Antioxidants help to scavenge free radicals and protect against future photo-damage and other factors of aging. One of my favorite antioxidants is Skinceuticals CE Ferulic (normal to dry skin) or Phloretin (normal to oily skin) and our SpaFusion Trifecta Boost, a combination of resveratrol, green tea polyphenols and caffeine that is great for all skin types. Antioxidants are great to layer under a moisturizer and help to give the skin a healthy glow.
Giftbar: What are the most exciting new treatments available these days?
DP: The most exciting recent development in aesthetics is the newest FDA approved filler called Voluma. It is used to restore age-related volume loss in the mid face. Studies have shown a duration of up to 2 years. Also, patients perceived themselves as looking 5 years younger 6 months after treatment and 3 years younger 24 months after treatment. Voluma is a true game changer.
K: Clear and Brilliant laser resurfacing is a medium-depth fractionated laser therapy which stimulates collagen, tightens pores, and improves skin texture. And with no social downtime, Clear and Brilliant treatments fit into a patient’s busy lifestyle as a strong preventive treatment. A series is generally recommended for optimal results.
Any skincare developments we can look forward to in the new year?
DP: The obvious answer is that we can expect better products, fillers and devices (such as lasers) to obtain the natural results we desire. The important corollary to this statement is that we will discover better ways to maintain these results. With continued use of injectable Neuromodulators, improved products and low energy, non-aggressive procedures (including at-home devices), maintenance will be easier and more effective.
K: Dermasweep (an exfoliating procedure I perform that uses a combination of manual exfoliation and epidermal infusions) is coming out with a brand new infusion that contains growth factors and stem cells. This will be a wonderful treatment for my anti-aging patients looking to stimulate collagen and keep their skin youthful and healthy.